SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

From:
M Tepper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 91 16:04:35 EDT
>>(and _please_ let's
>>leave America's favorite antisemite and purveyor of pseudo-Jungian mythobabble
>>Joseph Cambell, out of this :-> ).
>
>Is rather shocking to me... what exactly do you mean by Antisemite? I
>mean that seems like an awfully funny thing to say about a man that
>spent so much of his life studying so many different belief systems...

However, it does, unfortunately, seem to be true. I think it was Brendan
Gill in the _New York Review of Books_ (someone please correct me if I'm
off on this) who after Campbells quasi-canonization by the New Age folks
went public with the fact that Campbell was incredibly anti-Semitic.
The only comment I remember clearly was that in 1969, after the moon
landing, he half-seriously suggested sending all Jewish people there
because that would end the problem they caused. This is why I in my earlier
post on Lucas, said I had tremendous problems with Campbell....

>Curiously,
>
>--Jayson

M Tepper
Brown University