SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Allan Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 20:01:36 -0600
The following from: >Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC
>This past Sunday, the new Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, answered
>Hillary Clinton's criticism of his "more orphanages" solution to
>single-parent families. Ebenezer Newt's Yuletide solution ("Are there no
>workhouses?") was called absurd by the First Lady. Mr. Gingrich suggested
>that she go to Blockbuster Video and rent the film, "Boys Town". Aside from
>the paid commercial announcement, this is a curious solution to 1994's social
>problems.....
> In this way, the calumny that Hollywood promoted an unrealistic view of
>society and its problems could be proved untrue. Or, perhaps, we could see
>the new Washington as it truly is: The Dream Factory.
A timely and thoughtful posting. However, the Washington dream makers are
not simply spinning fantasies, but hard at work formulating programs and
legislation loaded with  more than simply rhetorical illusions. First on
the chopping block will be public television and other federally funded
havens of Mcgovern-niks. Unfortunately, DC liberal pen pushers are more apt
to be cowering in some congressional hallway rather than confronting this
cyberfacsism. The NEA cuts were simply a prelude of bigger and better
things sure to come; Newt is on a serious roll and Bubba doesn't have a
clue.
Allan