SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
"Rex B. Hannah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 1995 13:11:50 CST
Gerta writes:

> I am going back to school in the fall to study Public Relations.  I am
> interested in a career in film marketing...what have you.  I would appreciate
> any advice y'all might have.

If I were you, I would determine whether you mean film public relations
or marketing because they are two extremely different entities.
Marketing can be a fairly creative area to work in depending on exactly
what you're doing.  However, personally, I wouldn't go near P.R. if you
paid me.  Essentially, working in P.R. means being a nursemaid to the
talent on a film.  You have to make sure that persons image stays however
they want it.  You have to make sure that when their publicizing their
recent work, they're satisfied with the number of mints on their hotel
pillow.

Sure, each individual is different, and some may take more coddeling than
others, but the jobs stay the same.  If you don't mind spending all day
deciding which photos make an actor look better and should stay in the
press kit, than P.R. is your calling.

RHB <--> AMD

Rex B. Hannah         |----------->"Speak to me softly ...
[log in to unmask]  |----------->     Talk to me gently ...