SCREEN-L Archives

April 2003, Week 1

From:
David Tetzlaff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 04:03:43 -0500
There's a decent and teachable article on capitalist dystopias by
Thomas Byers in Alien Zone (A. Kuhn, ed.) but it references Blade
Runner and Alien, and may not be relevant to the films you've chosen.

If they're SMART first-year students, you can try to guide them
through some Baudrillard for The Matrix -- maybe selections from The
Precession of Simulacra.

In general, the lack of articles in Film Studies that are both 1)
intellectually substantive 2) accessible to undergrads in a gen ed
class, is embarrasing and depressing. I don't pick articles for the
films I want to show. I try to find worthwhile teachable articles and
then show films connected to the essays.

http://www.ScreenSite.org