SCREEN-L Archives

July 2010, Week 1

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:19:57 +0000
The inherent multi- and inter-disciplinarity of this thing that we do has always been one of its attractions for me (as was the inherent poly-disciplinary nature of "English"), but it is a moving target in at least two directions, simultaneously.  One is the nature of certain academic "disciplines" that evolve (or congeal) over time as certain sets of assumptions, practices and standards through departmental structures and criteria for tenure and promotion (among other things).  Consider how the different departments that Michele refers to might structure professional expectations in different ways for what is more or less the same area of study.

The other is the evolving nature of the moving visual arts.  "Film" has undergone theoretical and practical redefinitions every time a major technological innovation came along to dominate the practice, but those redefinitions can only accelerate now with the proliferation of new ways of producing, distributing, watching and interacting with moving images.  There are practical issues that departments have to grapple with (such as having the appropriate technology to access a body of moving visual texts).  There is also the problem of coping with those who dismiss (sometimes with justification) the notion of hoping on the latest technological vehicle and with those who will rush to embrace whatever the techie flavor of the day is.

On a broader scale, there is an inherent tension between these two trends that has interesting implications in light of the current demands for "accountability" in higher education.  The point of my rambling above is that "introductory" texts in this area ought to consider what "learning outcomes" we expect our students to demonstrate.  If faculty members and academics don't take those ends into account, we will find that there are those who are all too eager to do it for us.  Not much help for Jeremy's very practical question, but the issue has been haunting me of late for a variety of reasons.

Don Larsson

"Only connect!"   --E.M. Forster

Donald F. Larsson, Professor
English Department, Minnesota State University, Mankato
Email: [log in to unmask]
Mail: 230 Armstrong Hall, Minnesota State University
        Mankato, MN  56001