SCREEN-L Archives

April 1999, Week 2

From:
"Bruce T. Ritchie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce T. Ritchie
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 18:04:24 -0400
>How could someone who is color-blind know that what looks like green
grass
>to him is our equivalent of brownish-orange.  He wouldn't have any
reference
>point to make that equation.
>Skeptically,
>Adam Wathen

        Adam:
            I replied privately to Eunice earlier, but let me address
your perception. I am partially color blind (color weak, actually), and
come from a family in which this is not uncommon (my maternal grandfater
was totally colorblind, my brother red-green blind).
            Most people have the common misconception that "color blind"
means blind to that color. Not so. While my brother cannot necessarily
tell red from green, he Can tell those two shades from anything else.
They don't  look "browish-orange", rather they both look like what he
has Learned to be either red, or green. People can learn these things.
For me I have trouble with blue and purple, but have learned that, To
Me, "purple" is blue, with a reddish undertone. Sure, I know it IS, but
"normally" sighted people just look, and see, purple. I take two steps.
My brother has learned that certian things are green (like grass), and
so might see the coat in question as either Red or Green, but it woudl
still be enough to make it stand out from the B&W.

        Color blindness is not well understood by the public at large. I
suggest that those of you who are teachers become aware that not
everyone sees colors the same way you do, and that colors are not (from
a perception stand point) the absolutes some seem to think...

            brucer
Bruce T. Ritchie
Media Educator/Technician
Photographer