SCREEN-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Leo Bankersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 22:05:54 +0100
JEFFREY STRASBURG wrote:
>I've been toying with an idea for a paper that I thought I'd throw out for
>response.  Seems to me that the portrayal of the US President in films
>like INDEPENDENCE DAY and AIR FORCE ONE (the former piolet/Green Beret
>turned President) plays into the perceived weakness of Bill Clinton as
>Commander-in-Chief because of his lack of military experience.  In other
>words, these films/directors/producers are capitalizing on this perception
>of the current president because of a larger public perception of what it
>means to be "presidential."  Obviously, the idea is in it's formative
>stages, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any sources on cultural
>perceptions of the presidency -- haven't had much luck in my own (very
>cursory) searches?  Any suggestions, or any comments on the idea,
>particularly if it's either blatantly obvious or old ground?

We've seen quite a few films with presidents lately. Some of them
present a kind of president that can hardly be considered
'presidential', like in 'Absolute Power'. In 'Murder at 1600' we have a
president that is weak and indecisive (but turns strong at the end). A
positive character, yet very different from the heroes in ID and AFO,
we met in 'The American President'. It seems that sentiments around
Bill Clinton, if involved at all, can work out in very different ways.
Could it be that there is a common factor behind all this? Like: the
president has become acceptable as a screen character?

Leo Bankersen
Emmastraat 7, 1814 DL Alkmaar, The Netherlands       +31(0)72 5121575