SCREEN-L Archives

April 2005, Week 1

From:
Avi Santo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 23:52:22 +0000
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that the latest issue of Flow: A critical forum
on television and media culture came out on Friday, April 1. This issue
features columns by Daniel Bernardi, Michael Curtin, Cynthia Fuchs, Henry
Jenkins, Anna McCarthy, and Robert Schrag.

We have also published a one-shot piece by Melissa Click.

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

With this issue, Flow also enters its second volume. Many of our columnists
have
graciously agreed to keep writing for Flow, and we are pleased to add twelve
new
contributors to the conversation: Daniel Bernardi, Aniko Bodroghkozy, John
Hartley, Henry Jenkins, Derek Kompare, Daniel Marcus, Vicki Mayer, Jason
Mittell, Walter Metz, Megan Mullen, Dana Polan, and Sharon Ross.

Flow's look has also changed to a more streamlined and, we hope, more
visually
pleasing format to help present our expanded roster.

We are also adding a couple of new regular columns. Starting this week we
introduce Pass the Remote, a collaborative column in which, over the course
of
each two-week issue, three writers exchange a series of open letters on a
topic
of their choice.

Also starting this week, each issue will be introduced with a short column
written by a couple of our student editors. The introductions will take on
the
challenge of linking the weeks' entries into the larger weave of the
months-long discussion on Flow.

This issue's columns:

In Pass the Remote!, Natalie Cannon, Zak Salih, and Angela Nemecek discuss
HBO's
Carnivale and the valorization of freak culture

Television For Swing States. Henry Jenkins argues how television can help to
create common ground among citizens

Hegemony on a Hard Drive. Robert Schrag argues for improving the
relationship
between the creative impulse and the digital environment.

The Republic of Tyra, Anna McCarthy asks 'Who would you rather run the
country--Tyra or Simon?'

Terrordome. Cynthia Fuchs provides a consideration of the dynamics of cable
cop
shows The Shield and Kojak.

Reinventing Public Media. Michael Curtin presents a pragmatic approach to
the
possibility of media reform.

Where's the beef?. Daniel Bernardi looks at pornography, hate speech, Donna
Haraway's cyborg metaphor, and their relationship to race in America.

Martha Stewart: Free but Still in Chains? Melissa Click asks 'Can Martha
Stewart
redeem herself through television?'

Please feel free to visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these
columns and contribute responses to them.

Best,

Avi Santo & Christopher Lucas
Coordinating Editors
Flow