SCREEN-L Archives

May 2005, Week 4

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 13:31:19 -0400
7bit
From:
Pam Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: SCMS TV Studies <[log in to unmask]>, telecommies <[log in to unmask]>
Please distribute to anyone or any list that might be interested--thanks!

Global Indigenous Media: Cultures, Practices, and Politics:

We are seeking contributions to a collection that will address the role of
indigenous media in societies around the world, with particular emphasis
on the ways in which the increased access by indigenous peoples to new
media technologies for production and distribution of media work has
raised the profile of indigenous aesthetic perspectives and
cultural/political issues both in the mainstream and in new venues for
indigenous media expression. This collection will pay careful attention to
the diversity of this expression by incorporating discussions of the full
range of production: feature film, documentary, video art, multimedia
works, television programs, radio broadcasts, internet activism, and
journalism. Clearly, growing international and national support has
multiplied the outlets for cultural expression: combating discrimination,
preserving indigenous cultures and environments, and advocating for
cultural rights, such as the right to one's own language, protection of
indigenous traditional knowledge and sufficient provision of resources to
indigenous peoples and their media to promote indigenous language use.
Given the expansiveness of the category of indigenous media, we would like
to encourage contributions that think across the divides of geographies,
technologies (film, television, radio, internet), cultures, and politics.
Moreover, we would like this collection to reflect the interdisciplinarity
of indigenous media studies. We thus welcome contributions from Native
American studies, cinema and television studies, visual anthropology,
cultural studies, art history, journalism, and communication. We will
include historical research, local case studies, interviews with
producers, cross-cultural analyses,international perspectives, as well as
metacritical work.

Submitted essays will be grouped in the following sections:
*Histories
*Contemporary Practices, Technologies, Industries, & Politics
*Producers-Interviews, Manifestos, Portraits and Monographs
*Local Case Studies
*Connections: Indigenous Media in a Global Perspective
*Indigenous Media Practices and Political
Activism-Supranationalism,Group Rights, Sovereignty
*Festival Networks
*Activist and Artist Networks
*The State of the Field

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: August 1, 2005
Please send submissions (abstracts or essays in MLA format) to the
co-editors:

Dr. Michelle Stewart
Assistant Professor of Cinema Studies and Literature
SUNY-Purchase College

and

Dr. Pamela Wilson
Associate Professor of Communication