SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 2

From:
"(Lanny Cotler)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 1995 23:31:26 -0400
Apropos:

I don't know if "the film industryxproduced different versions (or at least
differently edited versions) of films for theatrical release for different
parts of the country," but your quest(ion) to know evoked a reactive
emotional response in me.

I wouldn't doubt it if certain marketeers in the industry did. There is so
much "targeting" - laser-like - in the "xone" (where the consumer and the
marketer meets) these days. Predator and prey. Pray your not a prey too
often.

I'm a filmmaker. How hard shall I chase the commercial buck? The LCD (for
math majors and educators)?

We here have certainly talked quite a bit about making an "European version"
of the love stories we write and produce. The Europeans are so much more
willing to open themselves to camera stretch and flow with the filmmakers
emotional rivers of delight, both spiritual and sensual.

But Amerikan narrative movies must rush forward into the breach of adrenalyn
and hold there, mindless, enthralled, possessed for as long as we can, for as
long as the filmmaker is able to hold you, sans thought, sans peace, sans
mysticism.

Sure, I think the film industry, particularly in the 70's and 80's, produced
different edited versionsxof films.

Anyone else?

L. Cotler
"The Earthling"