SCREEN-L Archives

May 1993

From:
Carol Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1993 14:02:25 -0500
On May 11th:

>Carol,
>
>Can you provide a little more info on the panel you are trying to put
>together for "The Society for Cinema Studies". Is there also a more
>general call for papers for this conference?
>
>_Den'
>

>Den' Raphaely
Yes, there is a more general call for papers, and I believe someone
already forwarded the name of who to contact with regard to that
information.  As to more information on my particular panel: I am trying
to put together a variety of angles of discourse about medievalistic
films.  Why are there so many of them, especially the "el-cheapo'"
coming out of Hollywood (for example, there are about 40 films based
upon the Arthurian legend alone -- most of them very tacky Hollywood
"money grabbers").  I am interested in the fascination with medieval
culture and literture as expressed via the film medium, but I also want
to see analysis of how the medieval has been drawn down into or
exploited in modern times.

I hope this helps/inspires.  To me, this is a very fascinating subject,
of course.  I think that many Americans are particularly attatched to
medivalia and to ideals drawn out from the Middle Ages, such as the
concept of a perfect, magical island called Avalon -- as the movie of
the same name seems to allude to.

Carol Robinson
Gallaudet University