SCREEN-L Archives

March 2004, Week 1

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:40:52 -0600
An important factor to consider here is the demise of the old Production
Code by 1968.  The code, however, was being openly flouted several years
before that end date.  Billy Wilder's 1964 KISS ME STUPID was released
in 2 versions--the European prints left in some more explicit material
but even the American version drew complaints from would-be censors.

Some films from before 1968 that strained Code standards included TOM
JONES, IRMA LA DOUCE, DARLING, ALFIE, and THE GRADUATE.  In musicals,
aside from THE BOYFRIEND, Fosse's CABARET is certainly heavy on
innuendo, if less explicit than ALL THAT JAZZ.

The substitution of the ratings system for the Code (leading to the
then-X-rated MIDNIGHT COWBOY winning Best Picture Oscar) was mutually
reinforced by cultural changes descending on the 1970s: the "sexual
revolution" enabled by the birth-control pill was just the beginning.
Mike Nichols' CARNAL KNOWLEDGE (1971) is as good a reference point as
any. It's also worth keeping in mind that relatively
popular/"scandalous" foreign films like HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR, LA DOLCE
VITA, LOVES OF A BLONDE, AND GOD CREATED WOMAN, PERSONA, BLOWUP, etc.
also had a role in the overall cultural context (and ALL THAT JAZZ is in
part a tip of the bowler hat to Fellini!).

Don Larsson

"Only connect."  --EM Forster
Donald F. Larsson
English Department