SCREEN-L Archives

August 1992

From:
Gabi Kreutzner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1992 15:02:03 CST
This goes especially to all those Screen-L'ers in the
US who work on US television. As someone working on
this topic in Europe, it is sometimes difficult to
get access to specific data about US TV. At this point,
I am looking for some information concerning the
losses in audiences that US network television has
suffered over the past decade. The numbers I have
refer to the beginning eighties; could someone
provide me with an update of the development?
How many viewers did the networks lose to other
outlets over the past decade? According to what
source?
Second: Is there any material available about
changes with regard to the network clientel
(i.e. advertisers) over the past decade? Accor-
ding to my own observations around the mid 80s,
the difference between daytime and prime time
advertising seemed to decrease, i.e. I found
that there was less and less advertising for
more costly consumer items geared towards
an economically potent "male" audience
and prime time advertising as a whole began
to look pretty much the same as daytime.
Now: the ones who make the choices with regard
to items such as household goods are mostly
women, therefore I suspect that prime time in
the eighties made some efforts to address the
women viewers among their audience. Evidence
for that is provided by prime time television's
turn to melodrama (I'd say, especially with the
high percentage of women viewers of shows such
as Dallas, Dynasty etc., but also with regard to
shows such as Cagney and Lacey). Are there any
exact numbers available?  I suppose what my
suggestion/idea boils down to is a kind of
"feminization" of prime time programming -
although this omits the economically better-
off parts of the female audience (who can afford
switching to other outlets that serve their
socioculturally specific preferences and tastes).
Any help will greatly be appreciated (and, of
course, be given due credit).
Thanx, Screen-L'ers  - gaby -

GKREUTZ at DS0LILOG.Bitnet