SCREEN-L Archives

February 1997, Week 2

From:
Peggi Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:52:50 -0300
Los Hurdes was first shown in 1933 with no sound. Buquel read the the
narrative script himself and played rocords as a soundtrack and was
immediately banned by the the republican government in  Lerroux for
showing the country in a bad light.  The sound version was released four
years later in Paris.  During the civil war Buqel was declared a
criminal as author of this film and was to be brought in if he was
found.

The film was made to _shock_ people.  Andri Bazin said <<that it wasn't
important if the country residents were shown in a true light or not,
the point was human misery. So between Paris and Madrid it was possible
to reach the limit of human decadence.  No in Tibet, Alaska or in South
Africa, but in some place in Spain men like you and me heirs of the sam
civlilization, the same race have become to be these dehumanized
_cretinos_ to kill flies on the face.  It's also of little importance
that this is and exception, what is important is that it could exist.>>
He concluded with <<Buqels surrealism is no more than a concern to reach
the depths of reality>>  Others of the time said that Buquels poetry
made this groegraphic documentary  a provocatively distinct.

When confronted by the president of the committee of Las Hurdes who said
Buqel had shown only the worst, Buqel responded that he spokes like the
minsiter of Lerroux.  He then took his film and left.

A good book on this film is Luis Buqel y Las Hurdes by Cisar Arconada
also Luis Buqel, Mi Ultimo Suspiro.

Poverty and desolation of man can also be seen in Los Olvidados which
was also heavily critized for shown Mexico DF in a bad light.