SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 2

From:
Mikel Koven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 1995 12:32:03 CDT
I saw a trailer for "Canadian Bacon" on the video tape of "Four Weddings
and A Funeral" (don't flame me, my wife hadn't seen it!).  I too am
anxious to see it, if only to see Steven Wright, playing a Mountie, say
"What's this all abOUT." (It's tough to do "Candadian" inflections on the
Net.) There has been little or no satirical jabs across the 49th parallel
(sp.), and I'm curious to see what you yanks identify as salient Canadian
stereotypes.  I remember Jeffrey Lyon (shmuck #1 on Sneak Previews)
"offended" by the portrayal of Americans in "My American Cousin", in
which the American mother, cigarette always dangling from her mouth,
responds to an invitation for tea with "Don't these people ever drink
coffee?" Lyons responded to this scene by irately wondering why the
Canadians were so ungrateful for ALL the Americans had done for us. :)

Just my early mornin' ramblin's.

Mikel Koven