SCREEN-L Archives

July 2020, Week 3

From:
Leshu Torchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2020 14:03:08 +0000
There are new playlists up at the Centre for Screen Cultures with a focus on family and intimate spaces- suitable as I plan to take a quick break from publishing playlists. [And that's the announcement: I'll be taking a break as I go on annual leave-- finally.]

During this break, please do continue to send proposals and ideas, and if you are interested, there are instructions on the website here<https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/07/16/contributing-a-themed-playlist/>: https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/07/16/contributing-a-themed-playlist/

And onto the lists:

We begin with a family suite, of sorts.

Tanya Horeck (Anglia Ruskin University) reflects on motherhood and the ways in which its representation can either expand on or critique existing forms of kinship in Mediating Motherhood<https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/07/09/themed-playlist-mediating-motherhood/>.

https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/07/09/themed-playlist-mediating-motherhood/

Robert Munro (Queen Margaret University) offers up Scottish films that explore childhood and child-parent relationships in ways that are both personal and allegorical in Childhoods in Scottish Cinema<https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/07/09/themed-playlist-childhoods-in-scottish-cinema/>.

https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/07/09/themed-playlist-childhoods-in-scottish-cinema/

And then a more intimate turn in Lungs and Breath, Air and Matter,<https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/07/09/themed-playlist-lungs-and-breath-air-and-matter/> where Davina Quinlivan (Kingston University) explores breath as a site of feeling and perception.

https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/07/09/themed-playlist-lungs-and-breath-air-and-matter/

---

All playlists can be found at a glance here (and can tide you over until I return):

https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/category/media-playlists/

This initiative draws on the expertise and passions of films studies scholars and media practitioners to help people navigate the surfeit of options online and to think about how they are interacting with what's out there.

Stay well, everyone!

Leshu

Dr Leshu Torchin
Director of the Centre for Screen Cultures
Senior Lecturer in Film Studies
Department of Film Studies
University of St Andrews
101a North Street
St Andrews, UK
KY16 9AD
Tel: 44 (0) 1334 467 476

Pronouns: she | her | hers

Centre for Screen Cultures: http://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/

Staff Profile: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/film-studies/people/lt40

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC013532