SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Meryem Ersoz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 1995 15:16:44 -0700
Gee whiz, Mike, sometimes I even have problems knowing whether I am a man
or a woman, but that doesn't seem to prevent me from committing to a
category (or perhaps, more accurately, having one imposed on me, though
that too may vary).

I would still maintain that the sound of the woman's scream does not
settle easily into either of the categories (diegetic or
non-/extra-) which we use to account for their presence in the film. I
would challenge you to try to place that sound in a particular category
and see for yourself why it doesn't fit easily. Perhaps that would be a
more useful and productive means of considering the terms of this debate
and more appropriate to the discussion than personal speculations about my
gender or my ethnic origins. Though perhaps not nearly as much fun.

Henry Ersoz
University of Oregon