SCREEN-L Archives

September 1998, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Derek Kompare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 09:22:01 -0500
At 09:12 AM 9/17/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Can anyone direct me to a location on the web that gives financial
>information on films. What did they cost - how much did they take in.
>Preferable with some detail in each area: eg pre production, production,
>post production - maybe even cast salaries; sales by country, video,
>cable, etc. I understand that these numbers will be inaccurate. If not
>on the web - is there a source off the web? Thanks in advance.

On-line (but off-hand) I'd suggest the Internet Movie Database
(www.imdb.com) for B.O. numbers broken down by country.  They've only
recently started doing this in detail (i.e. since about the beginning of
1997), however.  As for more detailed financial information, your best bet
is still the trades, especially Variety (the print edition; the web site is
fairly limited).  Keep in mind that more detailed information like cast
salaries and non-theatrical revenues will be more difficult to track down.

Any other more useful sources out there, particularly on the Net?

-- DK