SCREEN-L Archives

April 1997, Week 2

From:
Alex Castro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 19:07:55 +1100
Dear fellow subscribers,

I am thinking of starting up an online journal/zine on cinema and I
wanted to get some advice from my fellow cinephiles.  Please send
replies to [log in to unmask]

My interest with this journal/zine is to examine cinema as visual art
and cultural artefact.  Not a new approach, I know, but one that has
always interested me.  My background is in art history AND cinema
studies, and, throughout my studies,  I found (to my surprise)  that
there wasn't much overlap between the 2 disciplines.

The inspiration for this project came from reading about Louis Delluc
and Ricciotto Canudo, who were among the first people to think about
cinema as a *serious* art form.  Delluc was the first person to start a
Cine-Club in Paris in 1920, and Canudo wrote erudite articles about
cinema in literary journals.  They were both passionate in their love of
cinema, and it is this passion that I would like to capture in my
project.

This idea is still in its infancy, and I would like to put together a
team of people who are interested in this project.  At the moment, I am
after any and all ideas about format, content, manufacture etc.

I would also like to know about similar stuff that is available on the
web, and also what fellow cine-surfers would like to SEE on there.

Please contact me personally, (rather than posting to the list).  My
address is [log in to unmask]

Thanx :-)

Alex Castro.

University of Alabama.