SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 1

From:
Matt McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 1995 17:00:05 CDT
About the relationship between movies and advertising:

There's a brand spankin' new book about advertising that touches on the
links between the two industries: Michael F. Jacobson and Laurie Ann Mazur,
_Marketing Madness [A Survival Guide for a Consumer Society]_, Boulder, CO:
Westview Press, 1995.

I'd also recommend Janet Wasko, M. Phillips and C. Purdie, "Hollywood meets
Madison Avenue: the commercialization of US films," _Media, Culture and
Society_, 15, 1993, pp. 271-293.

And Eileen Meehan, "'Holy commodity fetish, Batman!: The political economy
of a commercial intertext," In R. E. Pearson and W. Urrichio (Eds.), _The
Many Lives of the Batman: Critical Approaches to a Superhero and his Media_
(pp. 47-65).  New York: Routledge.

Also, I believe the book mentioned by a previous post was Ellen Seiter,
_Sold Separately: Parents and Children in Consumer Culture_, New Brunswick,
NJ: Rutgers U Press, 1993.

Hope these help!

Matt McAllister
Department of Communication Studies, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA  24061-0311  e-mail: [log in to unmask]  ph: 703-231-9830