SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 15:48:01 CST
Seeing as how my previous post to our esteemed conservative compatriot has
vanished into cyberspace, I feel it necessary to pose one simple question to
Mr. Larry and others that feel that PBS/NPR/CPB/NEH & etc are a waste of a
dollar from each of us (as opposed, of course, to a few billion to buy ONE
plane)

The query is thus: What about "Mr. Rodgers" and "Sesame Street"? These shows
helped me extremely when I was growing up in the late '70's, Teaching me new
things, and reinforcing things that I had already learned in school. Do you
really beleive that ANYONE else would produce & air these programs? Are these
among the list of "elitist" programs? Are thess programs not worthy of the
little bit of Federal funding that they get?

I ask you Larry, if not PBS then who? If not the CPB, who?

The present congress should get a reality check before blindly slashing
through the budget. I really would like to see them explain all the cuts they
would have to make before balancing the budget with that ammendment. Hey, I
know, why don't we just send them all home, and shut down the ENTIRE federal
government for a year. If we simply save all the money we take in for a year,
then MAYBE we could do it....

Your turn Larry...