SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Sally Waters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 1994 23:42:12 -0500
Because of the number of you naming lawyer movies, I thought
y'all might be interested in seeing the list of movies in our
law school's video collection. These all feature
a lawyer, a trial, or some kind of commentary on justice or the
political system. Some have been specifically requested by the
professors of different subjects (such as Norma Rae, requested
by the Labor Law prof); and some, quite frankly, are here because
I got complaints from students with children that there weren't
any videos they could watch with their kids (hence, Ernest Goes
to Jail, and Alice in Wonderland....thank goodness, these were
inexpensive videos!)
These are available for free checkout by faculty, staff, and
students; some are also shown in class (and so, fall within the
copyright laws) by professors (the criminal law professor likes
to show Anatomy of a Murder; the Jurisprudence professor,
A Man For All Seasons).
I'm getting ready to order our next batch soon, and so would
welcome any comments or suggestions. We'll be getting Philadelphia,
The Pelican Brief, In the Name of the Father, Brother's Keeper,
and probably Jurassic Park (hey kids, this is what happens to
obnoxious lawyers!). ....And Justice For All, at least last year
when I ordered, was out of print; Compulsion hasn't yet come out
on video; and the other I'm dying to get, The Strange One (with
Ben Gazzara & George Peppard) - filmed on the beautiful campus
of our law school! - also isn't on video yet.

Now, here's the list:

Absence of Malice; The Accused; Adam's Rib; Advise and Consent;
Agnes of God; Alice in Wonderland; All of Me; All the President's
Men; The Ambush Murders (1982 TV movie); Anatomy of a Murder;
And Then There Were None (1945); The Andersonville Trial;
The Awful Truth; The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer; The Big Easy;
Billy Budd; Bird on a Wire; Black Widow (1986); Bleak House (BBC
miniseries); Body Heat; The Boston Strangler; Boyz N The Hood;
Breaker Morant; Brubaker; The Burning Bed; The Caine Mutiny;
Can-Can; Cape Fear (both versions); A Case of Libel; Chattahoochee;
Citizen Cohn; Class Action; A Clockwork Orange; Conspiracy - The
Trial of the Chicago 8; The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell;
Criminal Law; A Cry in the Dark; Defending Your Life; The
Deliberate Stranger; The Devil and Daniel Webster; Double Crossed;
Double Standard; A Dry White Season; Eight Men Out; Ernest Goes
to Jail (part of our Academy Award series...just kidding!);
The Executioner's Song; The Falcon and the Snowman; Fatal
Attraction; Fatal Vision; A Few Good Men; A Fish Called Wanda;
The Fortune Cookie; Fried Green Tomatoes; From the Hip;
Fury (1936); Gideon's Trumpet; The Good Mother; Goodfellas;
Harlan County USA; Helter Skelter; Hook; How to Murder Your Wife;
Howards End; The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939); I Am the Law;
I Confess!; I Want to Live!; In Cold Blood; In the Heat of the
Night; The Incident (1990 TV movie); Incident at Oglala;
Inherit the Wind; An Innocent Man; Jagged Edge; JFK;
Joan of Arc (1948); Johnny Belinda (1948); Judge Horton and the
Scottsboro Boys; Judgment at Nuremberg; Kramer vs. Kramer;
The Lady From Shanghai; The Last Innocent Man; Legal Eagles;
Les Miserables (1935); Let Him Have It; The Letter (1940);
Libeled Lady; The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean; The
Lindbergh Kidnapping Case; The Long Walk Home; Love Among the
Ruins; M (1931); Madame X; Malcolm X; A Man For All Seasons (1966);
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marie; Matewan; Melvin and
Howard; The Milagro Beanfield War; Miracle on 34th Street (my
favorite courtroom scenes); Mr. and Mrs. Smith; Mr. Smith Goes
to Washington; Monty Python and the Holy Grail (remember the
witch trial?); Mortal Thoughts; Murder or Mercy; Music Box;
My Cousin Vinny; The Name of the Rose; Native Son; Never Forget;
Night Shift; Norma Rae; Nuts; Oliver!; The Onion Field; Other
People's Money; The Ox-Bow Incident; Pacific Heights; The Paper
Chase; The Paradine Case; A Passage to India; Paths of Glory;
Penalty Phase; The People vs. Jean Harris; Peyton Place;
A Place in the Sun; Presumed Innocent; Prisoner of Honor;
A Private Matter; The Producers; Pudd'nhead Wilson; Q & A;
QB VII (1974 miniseries); Rage; Ragtime; Raising Arizona;
Rashomon; Rebecca (1940); The Return of Martin Guerre;
Reversal of Fortune; Roe v. Wade; Rooster Cogburn; Salt of the
Earth; Seems Like Old Times; Separate But Equal;
Sergeant Rutledge; Shame (1988); Silence of the Lambs;
Skokie; A Soldier's Story; Sommersby; Star Chamber; Sudden
Impact; Suspect; Switched at Birth; Take the Money and Run;
A Tale of Two Cities (1935); 10 Rillington Place; The Thin
Blue Line; Things Change; To Kill a Mockingbird; The Trial
of Lee Harvey Oswald (1977 TV movie); True Believer;
True Grit; 12 Angry Men; The Untouchables; The Verdict;
Wall Street; The War of the Roses; What's Up, Doc?;
Wheel of Fortune (1941); Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Whose
Life Is It, Anyway?; The Winslow Boy; Witness For the
Prosecution (1957 - what a great movie!); The Wrong Man;
You Can't Take It With You; Young Mr. Lincoln.

Any suggestions for purchase, including documentaries
and older movies, are always appreciated.

Sally G. Waters, Queen of Reference   /   "Dignity.
([log in to unmask])           /    Always dignity."
Stetson Univ. College of Law Library  /
1401 61st St. S.                      / --Don Lockwood
St. Petersburg, FL  33707             /