SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Bert Deivert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 15:55:31 GMT
Andrew Goodwin's own book, DANCING IN THE DISTRACTION FACTORY (UNIV. OF
MINNESOTA PRESS 1992) IS ALSO REQUIRED READING FOR OUR COURSE IN MUSIC
VIDEO, as well as SOUND AND VISION. There is a music video research project
being funded in Sweden and we will be hearing from one of the people
involved as one of the guest lecturers. A number of Swedish and Norweigian
articles are on our list --- if anybody wants the list privately (if you
can read those languages) I would be glad to send them to you.

>I would be interested in hearing some suggestions as to how a distinction
>can be made between the study of individual music videos and of music channels
>such as MTV.

MTV seems to be inseparable to music video to people in North America,
since it was the original and most dominant source, but in Europe MTV
appeared later and music videos have been part of the programming for other
channels, both national public service broadcasting, and SUPERCHANNEL type
satellite stations.

Some of the things we cover in our course are:

Introduction-MTV background

A visual history of music videos

Music videos in the music business

Intertextuality

Sex and violence in music videos

The Structural Relationships of Music and Images in Music Video

Yo...
BERT

*  Bert Deivert   Film Studies      University of Karlstad         *
*  E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Box 9501    S-650 09 Karlstad  *
*                                   SWEDEN                         *