SCREEN-L Archives

May 2008, Week 5

From:
Krin Gabbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 00:15:02 -0400
Greetings, colleagues.  I've been watching Warner Bros. cartoons from the
1940s, and I need to identify the source for a catch phrase.  I know that
Jimmy Durante said, "Everybody's wants to get into the act," and that Fats
Waller said, "What's the matter with him?"  But who said, "That's what the
man said"?  Or maybe it's "That's what he said, that's what the man said."

Please help.

Cheers,
        krin

Krin Gabbard
Professor of Comparative Literature and English
Humanities 2048
State University of New York
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5355
(631) 632-7460
(631) 632-5707 (fax)

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org