SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

From:
Heiko Recktenwald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:25:06 CST
On Wed, 8 Mar 1995 19:45:08 CST Kellner said:
>In article <[log in to unmask]>
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
>>> The Brits, the Scots, the Irish, the Welsh, the French, the Italinas, the
>>> Greeks, the Czechs, the Poles, the Spaniards, the Portuguese, the Belgians,
>>> tghe Dutch, the Swiss, the Swedes, the Nowegians, the Finns, the Danes, the
>>> Luxembourgois,the Austrians, the Germans, the former Yugoslavians, the
>>> Bulgarians,the Cypriots, the Hungarians (am I missing someone? The
>>> Albanians perhaps? the Maltese? The Slovaks? or the Turks of Ankara and
>>> Constantinople)
>>> ....are very strong (at least in circles equivalent to ours) in American
>>> cinema, while we are near-zero on non-American cinemas.
I'm interested in the question, to which extend those ppls/counties have their
very special own cinema traditions und how "european" rules for production
could be a danger to this multitude of styles. A movie gets money if it is
produced by producers from at least three different memberstates.
Maybe there are other dangers as well. I met somebody from Paris who spoke
very proud on "new" french films, that were half french and half american
in style..... (and of Godard as "le plus grand con suisse prochinois").

>Not to mention that, at least before '89, Indian cinema (popular, I mean),
>used to be quite well-known in Eastern Europe (as far as I've heard,
>especially in Yugoslavia, Poland and the CSSR of that time). Unfortunately,
>the Iron Curtain seemed to have blocked the dissemination of this
>knowledge into Western Europe :)

Maybe those indian movies, that are also very popular in other countries in the
East, were cheaper than american ones ;-) We know of that industry and some
of the better ones have been shown in TV, forgot the name of this famous
indian director, forget other names tooo.

>(BTW, does Russia count as Europe? Or are we facing some deplorable
>EC-centrism here?)

Here in Bonn, we had a nice show of eastern movies in the new "national
gallery" in connection with their show on eastern art. I was most impressed
by a german-russian coproduction, coproductions are not in itself bad:
Tichie stranjcy (Verborgene Seiten) by Aleksandr Sokurov (1994). Unbelievable
slow and dark, COOL !

>Oh, please DO discuss Third Cinema, but this is going to cut down
>the number of participants enormously - who's ever seen all these films?

How many ?

>Cut to next demand: show more films, distribute more films.

To show the last movies of Godard in Germany would be enough for me.
The last movie, I saw in cinema, not tv, was Prenom Carmen, JLG with a
taperecorder etc. etc. etc. No Helas pour moi etc. etc. etc.   Heiko.

PS.: I was very surprised, that G signed this french cinema-petition and
I am against all kind of quotas, that are only good for the security of
private tv investors. And: dunno if russia is a part of europe, if it wants to.