SCREEN-L Archives

September 1994

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:56:39 CDT
Coming Tuesday:

Every user on SCREEN-L will be asked to confirm his/her subscription.
You will receive a message explaining how this works.  Basically, you'll
just forward a message to LISTSERV (the software that runs SCREEN-L)
and tell it to CONFIRM SCREEN-L.

SCREEN-L has been around for 3 1/2 years now and we've never done this
renewal thing before, but it's become necessary because
there many names on SCREEN-L that have become defunct.  Usually this
happens when someone sets his/her subscription to NOMAIL and then
forgets that it exists.

In theory, there are 752 subscribers to SCREEN-L, but when a message
is sent out these days, it only goes to 450 persons.  Many of those
are receiving digests and thus are not counted, but still there could
be up to 350 bogus addresses.

I hope that this does not confuse folks, but I can already see one
way that it might:  our LISTSERV has two addresses.  One is for
BITNET (LISTSERV@UA1VM) and the other is for the Internet (LISTSERV@
UA1VM.UA.EDU).  Most of you get SCREEN-L through the Internet, but
there are still a few BITNET subscribers.

As I understand it, this CONFIRM deal will only work if you use the
correct LISTSERV address for your account.  So, try the Internet
address first. If it doesn't work, try the BITNET one.

In the future, your subscription will come up for renewal once a
year.

Any questions/problems?  Contact...

          We are shut up in schools and college recitation
          rooms for ten or fifteen years, and come out at
          last with a bellyful of words and do not know
          a thing.                --Ralph Waldo Emerson--

| Jeremy Butler - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                                                   |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |