SCREEN-L Archives

March 2007, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 15:41:06 -0500
Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out. This issue features columns by Alan McKee,
David Lavery,  Gareth Palmer, Craig Jacobsen, Ray Cha, Lynne Joyrich, Judith
Halberstam, Sonja Baumer, and Debbie James Smith.
Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Why Do I Love Televisions So Very Much?" by Alan McKee:
Why is television my favourite medium, moreso than cinema, radio, even than
books? Why does art make me so angry, television so joyful?

"The Crying Game: Why Television Brings Us to Tears" by David Lavery:
On media and the observation that we still have no valid, philosophically
sophisticated theory of why we laugh and cry.

"Prime Time Bullies" by Gareth Palmer:
In programmes ranging from Extreme Makeover to Ten Years Younger our flexible
selves are seen to be empowered by experts striving to bring forth 'the real
you.'

"Let Me Tell You---" by Craig Jacobsen:
What's new, or at least notable by degree, is the attention being given to the
portrayal of storytelling within broadcast network programming.

"Network Television's Ongoing Struggle with Web-based Television" by Ray Cha:
Peers accepted, provide online channels for established media.

"Women are from Mars? (Part 2)" by Lynne Joyrich:
How does--or should--narrative television deal with issues of sexual violence?
Lynne Joyrich considers the meaning of rape on Veronica Mars...and in our
culture as a whole.

"Sex, Love, Television (Part 2)" by Judith Halberstam:
At a time when Hollywood has very little use for women of a certain age, perhaps
television is where women over 40 can go to find roles beyond the bitter
mother-in-law, the predatory divorcee or the lonely spinster.

"Youtube vs. Mainstream Media: Kissing Cousins or Feuding Siblings?" by Sonja
Baumer:
Comments on why YouTube is highly unlikely to displace other media including the
mainstream media.

"Catfight in 'My Name is Earl' as a site of Feminist Resistance" by Debbie James
Smith:
"My Name is Earl", a catfight, and the cultural debate over what is acceptable
behavior for lower class mothers.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,