SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 1994 16:36:46 -0800
I for one was proud of Steven for making a film that wasn't so sappily
melodramatic as ALL of his others, that I could sit through without feeling
like I had stumbled into something "FOR 8-YEAR-OLDS ONLY".  I felt like he
finally got a clue, at least a step in the right direction.  I was even able
to forgive the little-girl-in-the-red-dress thing, choosing to view it as
that Spielberg touch on an otherwise very uncharacteristic film. The movie
was not a perfect piece of storytelling, and Spielberg is not the ideal
filmmaker -- whoever said he is?  And, of course,since when do the most
deserving win Oscars?  Perhaps a more appropriate topic is why those who win
Oscars win them, e.g. why Schindler's List will likely win Best Picture this
year, why so many critic groups have given it their Best Picture awards also.
 Why is that?  How does one win Best Director?  What exactly does it take?
To me this is a more interesting topic.

Sandra Barton