SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Melissa Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 1994 11:09:34 EDT
On Wed, 6 Jul 1994 09:49:48 -0400 Gloria Monti (GD 1995) said:

>        Interesting that this debate on domestic violence is taking place
>between two men.  Where are the women here?

Gloria,

As a woman who has been the victim of domestic violence I find it very
difficult to _watch_ the news coverage of the Simpson situation.  I was
also upset by some of the comments on this list regarding domestic violence
and men and women.

I've hesitated to comment previously because it has taken me the year since
my divorce to stop jumping at sudden noises... and I still want to throw up
whenever anyone yells at me.

I experienced an abusive situation while everyone who knew me and my ex
thought that we were a 'great couple'. He's an M.D. and I was completing
my Ph.D. So obviously I was not some meek and uneducated woman who couldn't
get out of the situation because of finances.

I did not get out of the situation.... it wasn't until my ex left me that
I realized how much the abuse went beyond the physical to the undermining
of my self confidence.  I was at the point of _believing_ that I was worthless
and stupid.  After all I'd been told that often for years.

It is difficult for me to watch this on television and it is difficult to
listen to friends who say "Why didn't she just leave."  Trust me... from
someone who has _been_ there, leaving is not easy.

Domestic abuse is about one thing and one thing only.... Power....

-Melissa Price

Dr. Missy (Melissa Lee Price)  [log in to unmask]
I've heard that into every life a little of it must fall.
If there's any truth to the saying, Lord, let it be a southern rain.
                                               - Michael Timmins