SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Marcus Richey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 1995 14:15:11 +0200
As requested, and for what it's worth (some reviews and a great article
from Mark Horowitz originally published in Film Comment called "Coen
Brothers A-Z"), here's the location for the Brother's Homepage:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~abormann/movies/coen.html

Even though we're ten years and five films into the careers of these guys,
I can't find any books about them, or I just haven't been able to run
across one yet.  I have the published screenplays by the Coens, but I'm
looking for secondary sources.  Perhaps ten years is not quite enough time.
 Perhaps too many agree with the main criticism against the Coens that they
are "all style and no heart", or as Baseline's Encyclopedia of Film put it,
they enjoy a success of "undeniable virtuosity and terminal cool",
but..."they lack Hitchcock's obsessiveness and moral seriousness and fail
to match Kubrick's intellect and profound pessimism."

That intrigues me.  I working on what might be the difference between
Kubrick's "profound" pessimism and the pessimism I see in the work of the
Coens.  Any comments?

Marcus Richey            [log in to unmask]
University of Karlstad, Sweden      English, American Studies