SCREEN-L Archives

March 2000, Week 4

From:
Evan Rosenfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 01:48:49 EST
Peter wrote:

<<
 Richard III (1996) or any other version, has held popular imagination since
 the late 1500's because the audience finds a guilty pleasure in the
 treachery of Richard III.

 The Talented mr. Ripley (1999) has much the same appeal. Tom Ripley, as
 intended by Patricia Highsmith, his creator, is an almost noble esthete
 whose life-style is supported by fraud, treachery, and murder, all of which
 are disregarded by the audience.

 Peter Latham

The interesting thing to me is not that the character is not somehow
perceived as bad (or evil if we must use that loaded term). The interesting
thing is that the evil is made pleasurable and therefore somewhat acceptable.
Evil hero? I still don't know. But I do see your point. Such films arguably
exist...

Evan