SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 19 May 1994 20:05:48 EDT
I love Letterman, again.  He lost me as a viewer somewhere in the late
'80s when he began to be unforgiveably rude to certain guests, for no
apparent reason.
I remember his morning show.  I guess I watched it in the summers during
my high school years (there, that dates me as a non-baby boomer).  I loved
it.  He used to buy the stupid junk from backs of magazines and give
demonstrations--a comb with wavy teeth that will "curl your hair instantly."
    As far as discomfort goes, I haven't seen Pekar on the show, but the
Rush Limbaugh show was extrEEEEmly uncomfortable.  Dave's audience is
pretty left of center--which may be one reason I like to watch--and they
simply wouldn't laugh along with Limbaugh.  Dave wouldn't either.
    As far as the age of Dave's audience--when did Dave start calling
his
audience "kids"?  I don't remember this when I was watching as a "kid"
(are college-age folk "kids")?  What might this say about the way Dave
positions himself as an aging entertainer.  How is it that Johnny Carson
always gets such amazingly positive audience response when he comes on
Dave's show?  Carson's retirement and his general star quality may factor
in to the response, but I can't help feeling that Dave has made Carson
popular with a new and young crowd.  Maybe that's stretching it.