SCREEN-L Archives

October 2020, Week 4

From:
Leshu Torchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2020 05:05:47 -0500
Trans* Lives Reimagined & Documentaries for the Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Playlist Initiative, Centre for Screen Cultures
University of St Andrews

Two new playlists are up:

From Andrew Robbins (University of Oregon), "Behind the Camera and Onscreen: Trans* Lives Reimagined," a list of short films made by transgender, nonbinary, intersex, and gender non-conforming (henceforth trans*) artists that defy traditional tropes of trans* people as spectacles, villains, and victims.

Some of these films are also part of the "TransFormation, TransAction” Guest Programme at the 2020 Aesthetica Short Film Festival, curated by Robbins with Laura Horak of the Transgender Media Portal (an extraordinary resource of and for trans artists, trans festivals, and trans teaching).  The festival runs 3-30 November. Check out the offerings and book your tickets.

https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/10/16/themed-playlist-behind-the-camera-and-onscreen-trans-lives-reimagined/

From yours truly (Leshu Torchin, resident Borat expert) a list of documentaries to watch to prepare for the release of the Borat Subsequent Moviefilm on Friday 23rd October. As I argue, Sacha Baron Cohen's work can both contribute a lot to our understanding of documentary as it also reflects a rich tradition of documentaries that have done the same. It could be just what we need in an age of post-truth.  Of course, this is only to get us started on this 'Inception Borat' in which Borat dresses up as other people to elude detection and recognition-- this fictional character inhabits our real world in too deep a way)

https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2020/10/22/themed-playlist-what-to-watch-to-prepare-for-borat-subsequent-moviefilm-2020/

All playlists can be found at a glance here:

https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/category/media-playlists/

This initiative draws on the expertise and passions of films studies scholars and media practitioners to help people navigate the surfeit of options online and to think about how they are interacting with what's out there. As a project exploring the radically inclusive and expansive potential of lists, a typically totalising and delimiting object, it always seeks contributors. Don’t be shy.

Sending solidarity and good wishes to you all.

Stay well,
Leshu

Dr Leshu Torchin
Head of Department and Director of Research
Senior Lecturer in Film Studies
Department of Film Studies
University of St Andrews
101a North Street
St Andrews, UK
KY16 9AD
Tel: 44 (0) 1334 467 476

Pronouns: she | her | hers

Staff Profile: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/film-studies/people/lt40

Consider perusing and/or contributing to the Themed Playlist Initiative:
https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/category/media-playlists/

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC013532