SCREEN-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Leo Enticknap <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:42:11 GMT
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:36:12 -0500 Murray Pomerance wrote:

> There are plenty of civil ways to reject a manuscript, and we are giving
> up civility, I fear.

I know of someone who did pretty well on this.  He was asked to advise on a book
 proposal by a
major academic publisher and concluded that it was "fucking abysmal".  These
 sentiments were
set out (including the quoted phrase) in an e-mail to the commissioning editor.
 Unfortunately, the
address he typed in was that of the proposal's author...

Trying to broaden this thread a little, are there any doctoral students in film
 studies on this
list who, like myself, are experiencing intense frustration and lack of success
 in getting anything
published?  I submitted a paper to Historical Journal of Film Radio and
 Television (about
newsreels in post-war Britain) last March; EIGHT MONTHS later the editor had
 failed to get back
to me with readers' reports, despite a succession of e-mails telling me that
 action was imminent.
In the end the head of postgraduate research here at Exeter advised me that this
 behaviour
was completely unprofessional (here here) and that I should withdraw the paper.
 She further
advised that I should not mess around trying to get things into journals, but
 complete the thesis
and aim for a book contract.  I am rather sceptical about that: let's face it,
 400 pages on
non-fiction cinema in Britain during the period of Attlee's government is not
 exactly going to have
OUP or the British Film Institute hammering at my door.

I am wondering if this is a specifically British problem.  We don't have a
 established forum for
'younger' academics to get into first-time print (in the same way that 'Cinema
 Journal' operates in
the US) and the openings for pieces on film history and technology especially
 are severely limited.
 I guess I burnt some boats with HJFRTV as there is no other obvious place for
 my paper to go.
About the only other things are 'Screen' and 'Sight and Sound': you have to be
 an established
academic of considerable stature to get at the former, and have to be able to
 write for a
semi-academic audience in the latter.

Is there anyone else on this list who has had similar experiences, and if so,
 how did they deal with
them?

Many thanks,

Leo Enticknap