SCREEN-L Archives

February 2007, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Barry Langford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:29:13 -0600
A couple of years back there was a useful exchange about how best
*technically* (i.e., copyright concerns aside) to rip clips from DVDs for
incorporation into lectures using Powerpoint etc. Lazily I've never got
round to trying this myself but with a paper due at SCMS in Chicago in
March and likely problems over playback of Region 2 DVDs etc. (to say
nothing of wanting to minimise time spent loading discs, enduring studio
idents, browsing menus, etc., in the middle of a 20-minute talk), it's
clearly time for me to bite the bullet.

The earlier discussion (headed "a basic question" if anyone's interested)
directed users to resources such as doom9.org etc. Having looked at this
it was to me at least (as a technical dunce) dismayingly tech-savvy (the
first recommendation under "learning the basics" was to build your own PC
from components and install Windows from scratch! yeah right...). So I was
wondering if the intervening years have made this task at all easier. Is
there a user-friendly programme for simply copying a few minutes of a
commercial DVD to one's hard drive, whether shareware or for purchase? I
would imagine almost everyone bar me has been cheerfully doing this for
years so I'm happy to humbly accept whatever guidance I'm given!

Many thanks

Barry

Dr Barry Langford
Senior Lecturer in Film Studies