SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

From:
Shawn Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 1994 22:37:06 -0800
On Mon, 28 Feb 1994, Sterling wrote:

> I think it's similar to the situation of rappers sampling snippets
> of other songs.  I have a vague impression of a recent (?) case of
> somesort of lawsuit regarding sampling, but unfortunately I can't give
> any details.  Anybody? --Sterling

Luther Campbell was sued by the estate of Roy Orbison over his use of the
song "Pretty Woman."  No doubt the estate of Roy Orbison can sue whomever
they want over the use of "Pretty Woman," but after selling the song and
its title to Disney for that execrable bit of mysogyny, they look pretty
silly singling out a nonentity like Luther Campbell for legal action.

The law is an ass.....

       Shawn Levy       |   "I used to have such sweet, sweet dreams,
  [log in to unmask] |      But now it's more like an air raid."