SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Murray Pomerance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 1998 18:34:13 -0400
CFP:  SUGAR, SPICE, AND EVERYTHING NICE:
          (An Anthology on Films About
                Teenage Girls and Young Women)

Despite the historic prevelance of youth films throughout film history,
there is not much scholarship on the genre.  Of the literature that does
exist, very little focuses on issues of gender.  We seek essays that
examine the construction of girlhood, questioning such aspects as power,
ethnicity, race, and sexuality.  We welcome essays on film shorts and
documentaries, as well as feature films.   Contributors are encouraged to
consider "classic" films as well as contemporary.  Possible topics may
include, but are not limited to:

Industrial Practices
Audiences and Reception
Intersection of of multiple axes of differnetiation and "Otherness"
Depiction of Female Friendships
Feminism
Romance
Stars
Consumerism
Coming of age
Class

We will accept electronic submissions.  If sending by email, please submit
to both editors.  If submitting via regular mail, please submit two copies
to one of the individuals listed below.

*** Send  c.v.'s and abstracts of 250-300 words by June 15, 1998 to:

Frances Gateward  [log in to unmask]
Unit for Cinema Studies
2111 FLB
University of Illinois