SCREEN-L Archives

March 2001, Week 2

From:
James Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:02:11 -0500
As a recent graduate I'd like to comment here.  The intro to film class I
had as a freshman started with _The Terminator_ and _The Wizard of Oz_ and
then went to _Koyaanisqatsi_ to give us the extreme opposite.  We also saw
such films as _Un Chien Andalou_, _Swing Time_, _Metropolis_, _The Bicycle
Thief_, _Yojinbo_, and _Orlando_ among others.  I think an intro course
should be as varied as possible.  If the students can begin with analyzing
familiar films and then move into unfamiliar territory applying what they
have learned, the students will probably learn much more than if you steep
them in unfamiliar films or only give them what they are used to seeing.

As for the introductory textbook, mine was Bordwell/Thompson's _Film Art_
3rd edition, and yes, I found it dry, but on the upside it is very
informative.  Perhaps they van address this in the fifth edition.

Scott