SCREEN-L Archives

May 2004, Week 2

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 18:05:37 EDT
Dear Film Scholars,

I would like to hear from anyone who has completed an essay
on DEADWOOD, the HBO series.

We are looking for an analysis within the context of the Western
as a genre; in addition, something about the current milieu and the
issues in the series would be of relevance.

A book is taking shape and Deadwood would be a timely way
to bring it to a close.

Please write to me immediately.  Today is May 10, 2004.
Please give me the status of your project.

Many thanks,

Peter  Rollins

Peter C. Rollins
Editor-in-Chief
_Film & History: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Film and TV Studies_
(Web site: www.filmandhistory.org)
RR 3 Box 80
Cleveland, OK 74020
(918)243-7637 and fax 5995

Comments: Individual subscription information on the web site
as well as information and FAQ's about the CD-ROMs. There are
also discussion items and essays on Saving Private Ryan, Amistad,
CNN's Cold War, and a host of other topics. The Table of Contents
for the last thirty years is there as well. The last two issues dealt with
the Western in a follow through from our Kansas City conference during
November of 2002.

Next conference is scheduled for 11-14 November 2004
and will focus on "War in Film, TV, and History," in Dallas
Texas. We are looking for energetic people to serve as Area Chairs
and will put a list of existing and available Area Chair topics on
the web site in the near future. Some basic information is on the
web site right now. Check it out at

www.filmandhistory.org

We are delighted to announce that we will meet jointly with
the Film and Literature Association and the Literature/Film
Quarterly. A click point is at our web site where the conference
is announced. If you are interested in the humanistic study of
film, you should subscribe to both Film & History and the Literature/
Film Quarterly.

Keynote speaker for the conference is Adrian Cronauer, the person whose
story was brought to the screen by Robin Williams and Director Barry Levinson
in _Good Morning, Vietnam_. Adrian wrote the first script for the project
and then it was '"improved" by Hollywood folks and, of course, Robin
Williams. Adrian is a wonderful public speaker who always starts his
talks with his signature wake-up call,"Goooooood Mornnnnning, Vietnammmmmmm!"

_The Columbia Companion to American History on Film_ is now available at

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup/catalog/data/023111/023111222X.HTM

A must for every university library!

http://www.ScreenSite.org