SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

Sender:
From:
"Tonelli, Melissa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 16:05:06 CST

I've been there (with a trailer for a film I was working on a few years
ago).

I think it was worthwhile for myself and my partner, who were trying to
raise money for a feature-length musical armed only with a four minute promo
and a under-developed screenplay.  Although we ultimately scraped the idea,
we did get invited to submit our script to New Line Cinema and a couple of
other less-well known production places (everybody hated it-- especially New
Line).  With the exception of meeting plenty of really nice folks and seeing
their films, I didn't really enjoy the market.  It's chaotic-- people shove
flyers, buttons, flags, postcards and all other manner of junk promoting
their projects into you face whenever you walk into the Angelika.
 Everybody's in pushy show-biz mode, which is the main complaint of most of
the buyers (distributors, producers, etc.) who attend each year.  Buyers now
have a retreat lounge off the premises, where no filmmakers/screenwriters
are allowed to loiter around.

Advice for a very green somebody:

There are informative workshops on low-budget filmmaking, screenplay
writing, marketing and distribution, which are fun to attend and especially
helpful to greenies.  Membership to the Independent Feature Project (which
is required before you may enter the Market) provides some benefits--
discounts on film stock, special screenings, etc. but might not be so useful
if you don't live in New York.  If you're will to plunk down around $300 to
spend a week trying to attract attention to yourself (some hopefuls do this
by dressing up as chickens and the like), then just do it.  It's a fun place
to be and if you like parties there's at least one every night.

Melissa Tonelli

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has had any experience with the IFFM
(Independent Feature Film Market) held every Sept. in N.Y. Specifically, if
you
felt it was worthwhile, and any advice you might want to give to a very
green
somebody hoping to take film there this year.

Thanks.
G. Huggins

gary l. huggins                        phone: 1-913 551-3280 ext. 210
circulation assistant
kansas city, kansas public library     email: [log in to unmask]
625 minnesota avenue
kansas city, ks 66101-2805