SCREEN-L Archives

March 1997, Week 2

From:
Blaine Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 21:10:19 EST
On Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:03:28 -0600 Eugene Walz said:
>Universe was made by the famed "Unit B" group at the National Film Board of
>Canada in 1960--NOT for Expo 67. The directors were Roman Kroitor and Colin
>Low and the producer was Tom Daly. Kubrick used the narrator of Universe as
>the voice of HAL, the computer in 2001.

The actor who spoke the commentary for Universe, and voiced HAL, is
Douglas Rain.  The other common element is Wally Gentleman, who is
credited on Universe and who was one of the principal special effects
folk on 2001.  I don't have the reference immediately to hand, but
Gentleman was interviewed about 2001 in an early issue of Take One.

Blaine Allan                           [log in to unmask]
Film Studies
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario
Canada  K7L 3N6