SCREEN-L Archives

September 2003, Week 4

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:21:08 -0700
From:

From: Sheridan Collier <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:25:23 +0100
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ghost protagonists?

The Remarkable Andrew (1942)
Peter Ibbetson (1935)
Blithe Spirit (1945)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Miller, James Andrew (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 5:55 PM
Subject: ghost protagonists?

> I'm looking for early examples of the 'ghost protagonist' film.  By this I
mean something like "The 6th Sense" or "The Others," where the major
character(s), whose subjectivity we are meant to share, is a ghost.

> Some earlier examples might include "A Guy Named Joe," or to some extent
the 1940s version of "The Canterville Ghost," or Powell/Pressburger's "A
Matter of Life and Death."  I am also already aware of the play "Outward
Bound," its 1930 film version, and the 1944 remake as "Between Two Worlds."

> There are also numerous 'qualified ghost' films, in which a spirit is
granted a second chance, or a limited time frame to achieve a task on
earth-- "Here Comes Mr Jordan" Fritz Lang's "Liliom" and "Destiny."