SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Corey Creekmur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 16:59:41 -0500
        Given the notorious postmodern crossing of high/low distinctions,
and Tarantino's apparently omnivorous viewing habits (forget RESERVOIR
DOGS's debt to Kubrick's THE KILLING; it's clearly a remake of the Hong
Kong gangster film CITY ON FIRE), and of course Godard's own homages to
gangster films (isn't PIERROT LE FOU the most significant source for
NATURAL BORN KILLERS?), what's the surprise?  No required readings or
viewings from me then -- postmodernism simply requires you to recognize all
the media texts ever available being referenced.  But I would like to find
a restaurant like the one in PULP FICTION where you can order a Douglas
Sirk Steak; and what is the difference between an Amos and Andy shake and a
Martin and Lewis shake??