SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

Sender:
From:
Alan Sondheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 1994 19:55:31 EDT
Recently, I have been 'monitoring' my dreams in the morning; if
they're not in black and white, they're at least in monochrome; I
sense this through an inability to define the color attributes of
various objects, etc. I think this inability would never have arisen
if the dreams were originally in color.I do understand why we can't
remember smells, etc. since dreams seem largely to occur within the
visual domain - but color?

As far as The Wizard of Oz goes, if the normative backdrop of a film
is black and white, then any dream sequence would be indicative of
the other. I wasn't implying that films are `dream like' - what I'm
talking about has little to do with the cinematic depiction of the
real - only with an underlying ground (stripped of any metaphyiscal
connotations).