SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 1

From:
Darryl Wiggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 10:41:41 -0500
I don't really have anything else to add to the Panahi incident. But,
ironically, today I received an e-mail from a friend in Tehran. She's
Armenian and has bitterly complained about the racism she is daily
subjected to. Not to mention the sexism. Anyway, back in November (nearly
six months ago!) I mailed her a video of Like Water For Chocolate
(unavailable in Iran, as well as many others). She warned me that it may
not get through because international parcels are almost always
confiscated. Today there was a development. Her e-mail was titled "I'm so
angry":

   Hi
   I have just arrived home from work,I saw a paper
   on the tabel,it was from irans post,the tape that
   you sent to me is arrived,but not to me,they have
   the tape & the paper were include these choises:
   1.If you want we can clear the tape & give it to
   you(how funny)
   2.We can send the tape back to the sender(I will
   choose this one)
   3.Break the tape(im sure that they wont break it
   & will keep the tape for themselfs)
   So,please email me when you recieve the tape back.
   Ok,I will talk to you later,now I think that you
   really understand that what kind of a country is
   iran.
          talk to you later
                          armi