SCREEN-L Archives

September 1991

From:
Chris Amirault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 1991 12:29:55 CDT
Hi there,

A few months ago, I asked about introductory articles on cinema, and a
couple of people sent along ideas.  Now I have a syllabus for this writing
class I'm teaching, and I have specific questions for y'all.  Thanks in
advance.

1. We'll be watching a few episodes of _Roseanne_ late in the semester,
and I'd like to have my (first year, intro to composition) students read
a couple of general reviews of the show or even an academic essay on it,
if the essay isn't too difficult.  Any ideas?

2. We'll also be watching _Do the Right Thing_, and the text we're using
(_St. Martin's Guide to Writing_ -- not my choice) has David Ansen and
Terrence Rafferty's reviews of the film.  I'd like to have them read one
or two more reviews, and also some of the loads of stuff that came out
of NYC (especially the NYTimes) about the film causing riots in the streets.
I think I can track down the NYT stuff, but any other suggestions?

3. Finally, I repeat my request for a short article or two that students
could read as an intro to film and video watching.  Don't bother to
recommend Bordwell and Thompson: if I had a month or two, I'd use it, but I
don't.  I need something shorter, if that thing exists.

Thanks.