SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 4

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Nov 1994 10:13:31 CST

>Yesterday, I sent a post regarding the influence of Clark Gable's lack of
>undershirts in A NIGHT TO REMEMBER.  As several of you have pointed out
>(very politely, I might add), the film was IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT.
>
>So, *did* undershirt sales decline or not?
>
>--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN

Re:  Undershirts and their lack in IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT.  Legend has it
that sales of undershirts declined when Gable was seen not to be wearing
one in this famous "Walls of Jericho" undressing sequence.  This is the
sort of story that has gotten picked up for more than two generations in
film histories.  Everyone says that, in fact, saled of undershirts
declined, but I have never seen an original source or citation to back this
up.

DD

David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
2109 FLB/707 S. Mathews, Urbana, IL  61801
217/244-2705