SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 22:00:29 EDT
As the executive director of a national group of film critics I became
embroiled in the controversy initiated when the MPAA gave "Henry and
June" an X rating.  We can speculate all we want in academia, but
Valenti is not very budgeable.  My critics recommended a rating
that was for adults but did not have the stigma of X (the only uncopyrighted
category, which is therefore exploited).  This is not a major threat
but Valenti got very defensive. liz weis