SCREEN-L Archives

October 2009, Week 4

Sender:
From:
James Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:09:57 -0700
CALL FOR PAPERS

The graduate students of the Division of Critical Studies in USC’s School of
Cinematic Arts announce the 4th annual ZdC Conference

SPECTRUMS

Saturday, February 27, 2010

USC School of Cinematic Arts

The graduate students of the Division of Critical Studies in USC’s School of
Cinematic Arts seek conference papers and creative presentations from
graduate students addressing the theme of “Spectrums.”

The conference is committed to furthering Cinema and Media Studies as a
field that benefits immeasurably from the intersections of disciplines and
an openness to the wide spectrum of visual media. In so doing, the Division
of Critical Studies seeks to honor the life and work of the late Anne
Friedberg, our department chair whose diverse research interests melded film
and television scholarship with issues pertaining to visuality,
proto-cinematic visual culture, and virtual environments. Inspired by Dr.
Friedberg’s vision, we take the idea of *Spectrums* as an invitation to open
research to a variety of discourses and to promote lively exchange between
fields that too often remain isolated from one another. Architecture,
Cultural Studies, Feminist Theory, American Studies, Ethnic Studies, Queer
Theory, History, Art History, Mass Communications, Post Colonial Theory,
Political Economy, Visual Studies, Performance Studies, and Comparative
Literature—these and many more besides have intersected with Cinema and
Media Studies and expanded its purview. This conference seeks to explore the
widest implications of the interdisciplinarity of Dr. Friedberg’s work and
beyond to present a spectrum of the current research carried out by graduate
students on issues related to film, television, and new media.

Appropriately, *Spectrums* lends itself to a variety of meanings. From a
telecommunications standpoint, the term is essential in understanding the
political economy of the media. The allocation of broadcast frequencies
across the electromagnetic spectrum was a foundational concern in the
development of television and radio networks—and the issues surrounding
those limited resources remain pertinent in this moment of digital
transition and new media proliferation. On a theoretical level, the visible
spectrum provokes matters related to vibrations of light and the range of
wavelengths intelligible to the human eye. It also engenders consideration
of aspects not seen: the spectre, or the phantom; that which cannot be
observed because it fringes, stalks, or haunts the camera’s field of view.
In that vein, the spectre encompasses representations of marginalized groups
whose screen absence should be brought to light. Confronted with these
issues, *Spectrums* asks what remains outside our fields of disciplinary
vision if we restrict our scholarship to a uniform or homogenous
perspective. We encourage papers that embrace the encounter between
different academic realms, but also welcome singularly themed panels that
can productively reflect against other presentations. Graduate students can
participate with completed projects or workshop papers that are still in
progress and perhaps en route to other conferences.

*Spectator*, USC’s Critical Studies film journal, will publish a special
issue devoted to the conference. Anyone who participates in the conference
can choose to have his or her paper considered for publication.

 Submission deadline: Friday, December 18, 2009. To propose a paper, e-mail
a 250-word abstract, bibliography, and brief bio to James Crawford at
[log in to unmask] Pre-constituted panels (minimum two different academic
affiliations) are welcome, but not required.

http://www.ScreenSite.org