SCREEN-L Archives

January 2002, Week 2

From:
Mikel Koven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 11:10:22 -0000
 Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:53:48 -0000
   From: "jerryveneman" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Abby

Hi people

My name is Jerry Veneman and I run the blaxploitation mailinglist
from yahoo.
I've got something you might be interested in.
I've started a petition together with actress Carol Speed to get the
long lost blaxploitationclassic "Abby" released on dvd.

Abby is the story of a black woman (Carol Speed) who is possessed by
an African demon. She then transforms from a nice minister's wife
into a foulmouthed monster. It's directed by William Girdler.
Warner Bros. took legal action against the film, because it was too
similar to "The Exorcist" and had it pulled from theaters after a
short two week run. In 1978 WB lost their lawsuit, but Abby was
never re-issued again.

Fans of this movie had to rely on blurry expensive bootlegs to see
this gem.

Leading actress Carol Speed (Black Samson, The Mack, Savage) already
signed the petition.
I would appreciate it if you can get as many people interested to
sign it.

To sign it, go to

http://www.petitiononline.com/Abby1/petition.html

Please send this to other people who are interested. We need as many
signatures as possible.

Thanks
Peace,
Jerry

p.s. Do you have any tips on who else I should contact for the
petition?

Dr. Mikel J. Koven
Department of Theatre, Film and TV
University of Wales, Aberystwyth